Hishtil's R&D department is involved in a variety of areas, including:
- Plant acclimatization
- Agro-technological applications development
- New products development lines
- Joint ventures with companies in the nurseries field
- Joint research projects with academic institutions
- Professional management of subsidiaries and partnerships
- Tomaisin - unique raisin tomato project
- Rootility - A robust sorting system for root analysis in various stress condition (low temperatures, salinity etc.).
The process of new plants introduction includes the examinations of dozens of new species and plants, derived from various sources in Israel and around the world. The list of plants intended for introduction is approved by a professional forum that examines the candidate plants and classifies them into an annual list. This list is used to derive the work plan. The process is managed by advanced information systems operating in the organization, enabling the management of operations and the necessary documentation.
New agro-technological applications are mostly performed and tested in response to various needs, such as:
Plant protection and IPM
Upgrading climate, water, fertilizer and control systems
The applications are tested in one of Hishtil's production sites and are integrated, following the trial stages, within the production processes in the various Company sites in Israel and around the world. The new product and product line development processes are accompanied by the best consultants in the field and by Hishtil's management. In cases where cooperation is required for the development of a planting application, the R&D department works together with relevant external factors toward the promotion of new ideas in the field.